Tuesday, November 6, 2007

South Florida Going Green

Have you missed me? Well, I'm back. My alter ego has been a bit tied up with projects and school and accessing the Web has been a challenge but I'm back in finding ways to encourage green Florida travel.

I recently read an article in the Miami Herald called, "South Florida Hotels Go Green." It discusses how Gov. Charlie Crist's mandate to hold state-sponsored meetings in green accommodations (whenever possible; beginning Jan. 1, 2008) is sparking competition. Me thinks this is a very good thing.

Right now, only two hotels in Miami-Dade County are green certified, the Four Seasons Hotel Miami and Intercontinental Miami. Monroe County (primarily the Keys) has five but there are no green certified accommodations in Broward County *gasp* but certainly the hoteliers there will join the green movement.

Some lodges are near-green, like the Deer Run Bed & Breakfast on Big Pine Key mentioned in the article. It's a vegetarian, organic B&B, striving to be as eco-friendly as possible.

Green is here to stay, my friends. At least that's what our little poll is indicating. Check out the complete list of green-certified Florida accommodations when planning your next vacation or meeting in the Sunshine State.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow..... I love all my vacations spent in Floridan.